- 7 eggs
- 1 can (12oz.) of evaporated milk
- 1 can (14oz) of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp of mexican vanilla ( you can use regular vanilla too)
- 2 cups of sugar for caramel
- Make caramel
- pour sugar into stainless steel pan with heat on high and shake the pan a couple of times to move the sugar around.
- Reduce heat to low as soon as sugar begins to melt
- Swirl the sugar inside of the pan (don’t be tempted to use a spoon … I learned the hard way)
- continue swirling until sugar is melted and slightly brown (the darker brown the more bitter)
- pour caramel into glass bakeware
- Cleaning :The remaining caramel will harden quickly in the pot but don’t worry just pour water into the pan (if you used any spoons you can throw them in the pot too) until it covers all the caramel and place it back on the burner until it all dissolves.
2. Mix all other ingredients together for about 2 min or until you see everything is well incorporated.
3. Pour mixture on top of caramel. I use oven safe custard cups because they only cost about 5$ at walmart.
4. Fill Larger pan with an inch of water and set your custard cups with the flan mixture into the water like a bath. you can add more water if needed but don’t let water spill into your flan mixture.(If you don’t place the custard cups in water they get a ton of holes and don’t taste as creamy) I use a lasagna dish for the bath.
5. Bake 30-40 min at 325 degrees (if you poke it with a tooth pick it should come out clean)
6. you can eat it warm or cold. I usually can’t wait for them to chill!! lol
(you can also skip the caramel step because its a pain in the butt to make! … then it will just be a delicious custard.)
I eat it straight out of the custard cup but if you want to serve it just put a plate on top and flip it over! Viola !
This is the easiest recipe I’ve found and it tastes perfectly creamy!
If you tried this tell me how it came out!